Dental exams and teeth cleaning in San Francisco, CA should be performed every six months for optimal oral health.
Dental Cleaning in San Francisco, CA
At Pacific Heights Dental Studio we want to address any current or potential problems before they become much bigger issues! For that reason, dental exams and professional teeth cleaning in office are an essential part of regular oral care.
Dental Exam Near Me
At your first visit to Pacific Heights Dental studio, your initial exam will be performed by our dentist. At routine dental check-ups, you will be treated by both your dentist and our hygienist. Services provided will include:
- Review of x-rays: To look for signs of decay, bone loss, tumors, and cysts. X-ray images also help establish the positions of teeth and roots.
- Oral cancer screening: Your San Francisco dentist will check for signs of oral cancer on the gums, tongue, lips, throat, tissues, face, and neck.
- Periodontal disease exam: An inspection of the gums and surrounding bone for any signs of gum disease.
- Check for decay or cavities: Every tooth surface will be examined for decay with special dental instruments.
- Check the integrity of existing restorations: Inspect dental fillings, veneers, crowns, etc.
Dental Cleaning Near Me
Professional teeth cleanings in San Francisco are usually performed by a dental hygienist. During your dental cleaning visit, you will receive a comprehensive exam and the following:
- Tartar (calculus) removal: When plaque is allowed to harden on tooth surfaces, it turns into tartar which is impossible to remove by brushing and flossing. Tartar, or calculus, forms both above and below the gum line. This damaging substance can only be removed properly with special tools and a skilled hand.
- Plaque removal: The sticky, bacteria-filled film that forms on enamel is called plaque. This layer consists of saliva, leftover food particles, and live bacteria. The toxins produced by oral bacteria can cause gum inflammation that leads to periodontal disease.
- Teeth polishing: Any leftover plaque and superficial tooth stains are removed during the polishing stage.
Visiting our San Francisco dental clinic for a routine appointment allows our dentist to nip potential oral health issues in the bud! At Pacific Heights Dental Studio, we recommend twice yearly visits for most patients to ensure good oral health.